First, I want to discuss audience theory in more detail next week. Please read through and make notes on the audience theories covered in the 'Audience' presentation in this post: http://chalfontmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/a2-series-of-student-made-presentations.html
Then read the section on audience in the document, embedded in this post: http://chalfontmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/a2-more-media-theory-courtesy-latymer.html
Second, read through this quotation from Jameson again, and respond to the questions that follow:
"Jameson characterizes postmodern society with four elements: (1) superficiality and lack of depth; (2) the waning of emotion or affect; (3) a loss of historicity; and (4) new technologies. A consequence of this is that people are unable to make sense of an increasingly complex society."
- What are the implications of this?
- How does this support/develop the arguments and ideas that we have encountered with Strinati and Baudrillard?
Third, consider the following statements. Do they accurately reflect the ideas we encountered within each paradigm?
- Structuralism: The 'Media' has the power to control
- Post-structuralism: The 'Media' does not have control
- Postmodernism: The 'Media' is control